Friday, April 10, 2009

Sunshine Burgers II

I seem to make these differently every time they are made! I just improvise and use what I have. I am bringing them to a friends tonight for supper, so wanted to actually record and accurately measure every ingredient. Here is version #2:

3 cups raw sunflower seeds, ground in food processor
2 cup cooked brown rice, ground in food processor
1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
1 1/2 cups water + 2 cups
2/3 cups whole oats, cooked with 2 cups water
2 1/2 cups crispy rice cereal, one free of corn syrup
1 Tbsp salt
2 Tbsp onion powder
1 Tbsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp Maggi's sauce (soy-free soy sauce at Asian market) or soy sauce
3 medium carrots, cooked half way and then ground in food processor

Grind to medium consistency in food processor the sunflower seeds. Empty into large bowl. One cup at a time, grind 2 cups of rice in processor. On the second cup, I add all my seasonings and 1/2 a cup or so of water to make sure everything gets evenly mixed in and there are no clumps of garlic or onion powder! Transfer to large bowl. Meanwhile, add oats and 2 cups water to saucepan and cook on medium 5 minutes. Should be thick and very sticky. Add all remaining ingredients to bowl and dive in with your hands to combine. Taste a clump of mixture, or cook a small patty to taste for seasonings.

I form my patties 1/2 an inch thick and about 3-4 inches across. Fry in 1/4 inch of oil in a large hot, non-stick skillet. Cook til dark golden brown on both sides.

Makes 12 large patties and 5 little kid patties (2-3 inches across and a bit flatter.)

1 comment:

  1. And DELICIOUS they were!!!!!! Thanks so much for coming tonight & bringing these YUMMY burgers! I will definitely be using this recipe!

    I must say...it was was a "feel good" moment to read the description at the top saying you were bringing them to a friend's house tonight...and knowing that we were that friend! :o) I'm glad we're friends.

    Have a great Sabbath!

    Vanessa:)

    ReplyDelete