Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Chickpea Sandwich Spread (C.L.T.)


Early TED

I call this my C.L.T. Chickpeas, Lettuce & Tomato sandwich spread! I used to make a sandwich spread with tofu back in the day when I could eat tofu that was super fabulous. I could eat sandwiches everyday I love them so much, but on this restrictive diet, I just don’t have enough protein options to eat many sandwiches. So I decided to get creative…. How many of my greatest finds have begun in just such a manner! This spread is fantastic; I am really thrilled with it. Hope you enjoy :-) Someday when it won’t make me sad I’ll post the tofu version as well.

1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 large carrot, peeled and cut into chunks
1 large stalk celery, washed and cut into chunks
1 cup pickles
¼ cup pickle juice or vinegar
2 Tbsp. tahini or sunbutter (If you can have mayonnaise, use 3-4 Tbsp. Instead of the seed butter and olive oil.)
1 Tbsp. Olive oil
1 tsp. Onion powder
1 Tbsp. mustard
Salt and pepper to taste

Using a food processor, coarsely chop ½ the can of chickpeas. Transfer to a large bowl. Continue with the carrot, celery and pickle, chopping each individually and then transferring to your bowl. Put the remaining ½ can of chickpeas into the processor, as well as the remaining ingredients and process until smooth and creamy. Add additional pickle juice, seed butter, oil or water (or mayonnaise!) to make a smooth mixture that will adequately coat the other ingredients for a creamy spread. Adjust seasonings as needed.

I enjoy this with toasted bread/buns and plenty of lettuce and tomato and extra mustard. Yummy!!! Packed with protein, tasty and healthy. My kind of sandwich :-)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the sample of this. I enjoyed it today for lunch! And, the apple spice cake was FABULOUS:) YUM!

    ReplyDelete