Friday, May 1, 2009

Flax "Eggs"

I was trolling the internet for interesting recipes and came acoss a site specializing in vegan ice cream. Yummy! It's nice to have someone else do the experimenting and just leave me to the eating! It's also great because the majority of the recipes I looked at were dairy and soy free, or could easily be made so. Coconut milk is a great item to cook with, and now So Delicious actually has coconut milk for drinking, cooking, baking, etc. and I hear it tastes fabulous! Ok, so here is the link to the amazing ice cream site:

http://veganicecream.blogspot.com

And here is a link to making flax "eggs" to use in baking. I've tried before to use flax but wasn't doing it like this and never had success. I think this way will work great and look forward to using in my next baking adventure.

Flax "Eggs"

Note: While there are many ways to replace eggs in baking, my favorite method is to make “flax eggs.” I recommend making these in bulk; it’s easier that way. Combine 1/3 cup flax seeds with 2/3 cup hot water in a blender. Let sit for 15 minutes, then blend until the mixture is gelatinous in texture and whole flax seeds are no longer visible. One tablespoon of flax eggs equals one egg. However, if you use this egg replacer and you notice that your batter isn’t quite as liquid-y as it seems it should be, add 2 to 3 tablespoons water, soy milk, or other liquid. (This is why I have soy milk in this recipe.) Whatever flax eggs you don’t use will keep for 2 weeks in the fridge, so you’ll have some on hand for the future. (One tip for using flax eggs is to beat the flax eggs into the oil/liquid before adding dry ingredients, as I have done in this recipe. It helps distribute the magic flax all throughout your batter.)

No comments:

Post a Comment