Thursday, January 8, 2009

GF Onion Rings

Early TED

This was a suggestion of my sister who has been helping me think up new foods to eat while on the total elimination diet. Having variety has helped me make it on this limited diet.

1/4 cup gluten free flours (I used equal parts millet, quinoa, potato and tapioca)
1/8 tsp baking powder
1/8 - 1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup potato or rice milk (or any milk of your choice)
Enough oil to cover skillet by 1/2 an inch

Slice onion into 1/4 inch rounds, separate into rings and allow to soak briefly in milk. Combine flours, baking powder and salt in another bowl. Dredge onion rings in the flour mixture, and then drop into the hot oil. Allow to fry until golden brown, then drain on paper towels. I even doubled dipped a few towards the end and they were even thicker and puffier. Yum!

My rings turned out beautifully; crispy and nicely coated in the flours. They were delicious! I gobbled up 3/4 of the onion without even thinking twice. Next time I might slow down enough to dip in ketchup :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment