Saturday, December 27, 2008

Crispy Quinoa Cookies (Gluten-Free)


Below is a recipe I adapted from the ancient harvest quinoa website. The link is www.quinoa.net. There are quite a few recipes on there, but surprisingly, many are loaded with dairy. So I'll find the few that I think can be modified and post them on here. My husband made these for me as a surprise for supper tonight. They were quite good! I changed the recipe to up the sweetener a bit. When baking them, they appear soft after 15 minutes, but go ahead and pull them out and they will crisp up out of the oven. They were great with a super cold glass of rice milk (I sprinkled on some nutmeg for a "rice nog" effect.) Hmmmm.... Milk and cookies! Anything to fool my brain into thinking "this is normal" :-) And it mostly worked, I will definitely make again.

Early TED

1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup sunbutter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup quinoa or rice flour (rice flour will give milder flavor)
3/4 cup quinoa flakes
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Beat honey, brown sugar, margarine, sunbutter and vanilla in medium bowl until creamy. Combine quinoa or rice flour, quinoa flakes, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Add to mixture and beat until well blended. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 15 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 1 minute before removing from cookie sheet.
Yields about 3 dozen cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment