Monday, December 29, 2008

TED Vegetable Stir-Fry

Early TED

I was so glad when I was able to add in broccoli. I love it, I knew I needed a green vegetable while on such a limited diet, and I love stir-frys! So yep, I was pretty thrilled. I didn't measure the ingredients in the stir-fry we made last night. I'll just give approximations of what I used, and adapt to include the vegetables that you are able to eat.

1 head broccoli, lightly blanched
3 carrots, chopped and lightly blanched
1/2 an onion, sliced
3 stalks celery, sliced on a diagonal
1 cup mushrooms, cleaned and sliced *
1 sweet potato, cooked al dente, then peeled and cubed *
Add in some turkey or chicken if you are a meat eater

To blanch, I just tossed in a microwave safe bowl, and placed in the microwave with 1/2 an inch of water and cooked, covered for just 1 1/2 - 2 minutes. You want the vegetables to still have a bite.

*I forgot to add in these vegetables! I realized after completing the dish, so didn't want to go back and cook anymore. Hmmm, would have been much tastier with them included!

Sauce
1 1/4 cups cool water
1 Tbsp. kitchen bouquet (my new favorite...it adds some flavor and a rich dark color)
garlic & onion powder to taste
salt, to taste
1 small squirt ketchup (or sweet chili sauce if you can have)
2 Tbsp. tapioca starch, or other starch of your choice

Saute the onions in a large skillet, and when soft add in the remaining vegetables. Mix the starch into the cool water until dissolved, then add to the skillet and cook with remaining ingredients until the mixture begins to slightly thicken. Turn heat off so that vegetables don't over cook. If I ate chicken, I would totally be adding in some! Just increase the water, starch and seasonings so the sauce can accommodate the extra ingredients.

We served our stir-fry over rice noodles, or you can serve over brown rice (brown rice is always 10 times better for you than white!!! On the TED, EVERY extra nutrient counts!)

No comments:

Post a Comment