Sunday, December 21, 2008

Potato Vegetable Soup

Early TED

In the early stages of my TED I was unable to eat rice or rice milk. So I figured out a way to make potato soup with no "milk". I was using Dari-free potato milk, but it was very sweet so I didn't like using in savory dishes. The secret to my creamy potato soup was to blend 1/3 of the soup and several Tbsp. of olive oil until creamy and smooth in the blender. You would be surprised by how nicely it works!!!

5 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
4 stalks celery, diced
4 carrots, peeled and diced
1 onion, diced
water, enough to just cover contents of pot
1 cup rice milk, if you can have
2 tsp. sea salt, or more to taste. I like things salty!
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
4 Tbsp. olive oil
*add in some turkey or chicken chunks if you eat meat.

In a large saucepan over low-medium heat, saute onion in 1 Tbsp. olive oil until good color develops and onions are slightly translucent. Add in carrots and celery and saute an additional 2-3 minutes. Add in potatoes, water and seasonings. If using milk, do not yet add in. Raise heat to medium and cook until potatoes are tender. Add in milk. Transfer 1/3 of soup to blender and add 2-3 Tbsp. of olive oil. Blend on high until creamy and smooth, then return to pot. Adjust seasonings as needed.

Makes 4-5 good sized bowls of soup. I always make extra to have in the fridge for "emergencies" when I don't have time to make anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment